NICHOLS SUSTAINABILITY JOURNEY
Nichols has a strong commitment to sustainability. Our commitment is to focus on the environmental, social and economic impacts of our business and to engage our associates, suppliers and customers to develop sustainable business practices that meet the needs of today without compromising future generations. We pledge to:
- Promote environmental stewardship.
- Identify opportunities to continuously improve our operational performance as well as assist our suppliers and customers in doing the same.
- Benchmark our operational performance, set targets for improvement, conduct audits, track metrics and report annual environmental performance.
- Proactively seek innovative solutions, and new technologies and products to meet or exceed our sustainability standards.
- Educate all of our partners in maintaining clean and healthy facilities while meeting sustainability standards.
- Ensure the safe shipment of products for our customers while identifying innovative and sustainable packaging solutions.
- Obtain and maintain LEED O+M certification for our corporate offices.
- Provide strategic support to the sustainability of our communities through donated time and funding.
Why LEED EB O + M? LEED which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design is a product of the U.S. Green Building Council. There are several LEED certifications for new construction and major renovations however we chose to pursue LEED for Existing Buildings Operation and Maintenance.
LEED O+M is the tool for the ongoing operations and maintenance of existing commercial and institutional buildings. The certification system identifies and rewards current best practices and provides an outline for building’s to use less energy, water and natural resources; improve the indoor environment; and uncover operating inefficiencies. We achieved LEED EB O+M Version 2.0 Gold in June of 2010. We have submitted for recertification under LEED O+M Version 4.0 as of June 9, 2015.
Why Did Nichols Choose To Go Down This Path?
- A number of credits achievable in LEED O + M are related to a holistic green cleaning program. With nearly 500 LEED buildings in Michigan, and more in Ohio and Indiana we must be the experts on assisting customers to document their green cleaning programs for LEED. Having gone through the process ourselves adds to our credibility and first-hand experience allows us to understand what our customers will be challenged with.
- LEED is best management practices and we believe that we need to continuously improve on everything we do from managing our building and operations, improving our internal processes and servicing our customers.
- Indoor Air Quality – our goal was to create the best indoor air quality for our associates, our team that cleans our building and our visitors. We want a clean and healthy facility.
- Nichols has been a leader in our community in many ways and this was another way we could demonstrate that green building standards are achievable, economical, better for our environment. We are sharing the results and findings in several ways: You can find our case study here; making presentations at public gatherings and through various media sources. Our findings are not always pretty and sometimes those are the best lessons.
- Many distributors are promoting green products and that is obviously very important. At Nichols we feel we need to also demonstrate our commitment to our industry to be a leader with a holistic approach and walk-the-talk. Sustainable organizations want to purchase from sustainable organizations and quite often we are asked what we are doing internally to support sustainable practices so we want to set the example for others in our industry.
See a snapshot of our accomplishments: